Saturday, November 22, 2014

Emotional Interview 2

Allison: Part 1



Allison was the second woman I spoke with. I have known her for over 20 years. I always saw her as a strong and independent woman, never afraid to speak her mind.  We met through our husband and were a close circle until my husband’s death. They moved shortly after that and we only stayed in touch through letters, phone calls and recently Face Book. I had no idea what her life was really like until she called me one night about 5 years ago. She said she wanted to leave her husband.

This interview was by far, the most difficult for me. I had an obvious emotional connection to my friend and hearing the details of their relationship had made me angry. I had other feelings that are hard for me to describe. Betrayal, confusion? Why didn't she ask for help before? She didn't trust me? Allison, her husband and yes, even my husband, I had found out later, had lied to me about their relationship. I thought we were all a close group that shared our lives and the lives of our children. I was wrong. What did that say about my husband and I’s relationship?


People can go through life without knowing the most intimate truths about the closest of our friends and family members. Sometimes it’s only until tragedy strikes that we find out the truth behind each of our lives.

(To be continued)

If you or someone you know is being abused, please seek help.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline

1-800-799-7233

-SH

1 comment:

  1. Sally, you are brave to interview a friend about a traumatic event. What I've learned in life is people only let us know about them what they want us to know and they are very good at keeping the rest from us,so do not feel betrayed. Looking forward to
    pt. 2.
    JT

    ReplyDelete